The Amy Mandel and Katina Rodis Fund (AMKRF) has been supporting and promoting the social justice work of leading progressive organizations since the late 1980’s. AMKRF supports efforts that address systemic change with regards to policy, legal, and cultural reform.
We envision a world of equity and full human rights for all people.
The Amy Mandel and Katina Rodis Fund supports social justice work that advances LGBTQ rights, forwards racial justice, and combats anti-Semitism on a global, national, and local scale.
Grants are awarded to organizations, programs, and campaigns that align with one or more of the following priorities:
- An intersectional approach to race and ethnicity, gender, sexuality, faith, and class.
- Best practices for combating anti-Semitism, dismantling structural racism, and attaining full equity for LGBTQ people.
- Capacity building and leadership training opportunities to strengthen nonprofit operations, and the leadership of youth, young adults, and movement builders.
- People of Color-led organizations and initiatives engaged in LGBTQ rights and other social justice work.
- Progressive Jewish and other ally organizations that prioritize LGBTQ issues, racial and economic justice, dismantling structural racism, combatting anti-Semitism, and other social justice issues.
- Strategic collaboration with other funders and organizations to help build a stronger, better-leveraged, and expansive LGBTQ equality movement in the Southern U.S.
- Advancement of global human rights and equality for LGBTQ people worldwide.
- Organizations that enhance the quality of life for our local community in Asheville, North Carolina.
In 2012, the AMKRF founded The Tzedek Social Justice Fellowship. The Amy Mandel and Katina Rodis Fund is based in Asheville, North Carolina.
Here’s a list of organizations funded by AMKRF:
Regionally, Nationally, Globally
- American Jewish World Service
- Astraea Lesbian Foundation for Justice
- Bend the Arc: A Jewish Partnership for Justice
- Breakout Youth
- Brown Boi Project
- Campaign for Southern Equality
- Carolina Jews for Justice
- Equality North Carolina
- Equality Federation Institute
- Faith in Public Life
- Funders for LGBTQ Issues
- Freedom Center for Social Justice
- Jerusalem Open House for Pride and Tolerance
- JOIN for Justice
- LGBT/HIV Federal Criminal Justice Policy Working Group via The VAID Group
- LGBTQ Poverty Agenda, a project of the Williams Institute at UCLA
- LGBTQ Racial Justice Fund
- National LGBTQ Task Force
- Movement Advancement Project
- National Black Justice Coalition
- National Council of Jewish Women
- SOJOURN–Southern Jewish Resource Network for Gender and Sexual Diversity
- Southerners On New Ground
- Southern Poverty Law Center
- Southern Vision Alliance
- Trans Justice Funding Project
- Transgender Legal Defense and Education Fund (TLDEF)
- We Dream In Black, a project of the National Domestic Workers Alliance
Asheville and Western North Carolina
- African Americans in Western North Carolina and Southern Appalachia Conference
- Asheville Jewish Community Center
- Beneath the Veneer
- Center for Jewish Studies at University of North Carolina Asheville
- Center for Participatory Change
- Compañeros Inmigrantes de las Montañas en Acción (CIMA)
- Eagle Market Street Development Corporation
- Hood Huggers International
- JMPRO TV
- My Daddy Taught Me That
- My Sistah Taught Me That
- Nuestro Centro
- Our VOICE
- Positive Changes Youth Ministries
- Q Chat Space of CenterLink
- WomanSong of Asheville
- Word on the Street
- Youth Outright
- Youth Transformed for Life (YTL)
- YWCA of Asheville