The Tzedek Impact Awards are designed to support individuals who are addressing racial justice, LGBTQ justice, and anti-Jewish oppression in our community using the wisdom gained by directly navigating systems of oppression. People of color, LGBTQ individuals, and Jewish individuals are encouraged to apply.
Ashevillians are invited to nominate themselves for a Tzedek Impact Award ranging from $100-$3,000 that will support and strengthen their social justice work. Tzedek Impact Awards represent a shift in our organization towards models of grantmaking that is increasingly trust-based as we seek to transform the inequitable history and oppressive culture of philanthropy.
Three rounds of Impact Awards will be distributed in March 2020, June 2020, October 2020. $40,000 will be distributed in each grant cycle.
Who is eligible?
To be eligible, you must be a full-time resident of the Asheville area (within 30 miles of The Asheville City Building) and be directly impacted by the systems of inequity you are working to transform. The Tzedek Impact Awards are an opportunity to celebrate and sustain community members who have had a demonstrated impact working in one or more of our focal areas: racial justice, LGBTQ justice, combating anti-Jewish oppression. Tzedek believes that wide-ranging community efforts–from artistic interventions to grassroots organizing to nonprofit/governmental/private collaborations–are impactful.
How do I apply for this opportunity?
Self-nominations can be submitted to email@example.com with the subject line “IMPACT AWARDS.” Nominations will be reviewed three times a year on the schedule outlined below.
There are three steps to self-nomination.
- Submit a written narrative (1000 words or less) that responds to the following questions.
- How have you worked towards racial justice, LGBTQ justice, and/or combatting anti-Semitism and helped make Asheville a more just and equitable place?
- How do you bring your personal experience navigating systems of oppression to your community work?
- How have you collaborated with other local organizations, projects, and/or leaders?
- What will you fund with the Tzedek Impact Award?
- Submit a proposed budget.
- In the email, please include…
- Your full name
- Home address
- Email address
- Phone number
How will awardees be selected?
Community members who would like to be considered are invited to submit a self-nomination. Tzedek staff will review nominations and select awardees using the checklist below. Awardees’ who meet the eligibility criteria will receive an award.
For more information about this pilot program, please review the FAQs.